- Most women dream of long, silky hair that maintains its look day in and out. However, rarely are we born with that only exist in story books. With the advanced technology that abounds these days, new treatments are being introduced on a daily basis. With so many options to choose from, it can be hard to decide which ones are safe or just not right for you. One of the most popular methods today is the Brazilian Keratin Treatment (also known at BKT, Brazilian Blowout, and Keratin Treatment). This 2 part method helps to correct past damage, rid of frizz, straighten wavy locks or loosen tight, unruly curls.
- The 2 main ingredients in most Brazilian Keratin Treatments are Formaldehyde and Keratin. Keratin is a naturally occurring protein found in the skin, hair and nails, as well as the hooves, horns and fur of animals. In its liquid form it is used in products such as shampoos and conditioners. Formaldehyde is a preservative that is seen as a possible human carcinogen. Recently there has been skepticism regarding the use of formaldehyde in Brazilian Keratin Treatments. It is suggested that the product contain less than .2 percent formaldehyde to be considered safe. Keep in mind, not all Brazilian Keratin Treatments contain formaldehyde. If you are concerned about this chemical being used, consult your hairdresser as to which solution she uses. But always read the labels yourself to be sure.
- In salons across the country, the application methods vary. Although each stylist has their own technique, the entire process is generally the same. Be aware this process is costly and timely. It can take anywhere from an hour and a half to 3 depending on the length and thickness of your locks, but proves to be well worth it. First, your hair will be washed with a clarifying shampoo and towel dried. The Brazilian Keratin Treatment will then be applied to the hair and combed through. After rinsing out the excess, a hot iron is used at high temperatures to seal in the treatment.
- Following your treatment, you will want to take a few precautions to ensure that you will maintain your ‘investment’. By no means should your hair get wet, meaning do not wash it, no exercise and absolutely no swimming, especially in pools. Essentially, you’re washing the treatment out of your hair if you are not patient enough. When it does come time to wash your tresses, be sure to use a shampoo and conditioner that are sodium free. To avoid ruining your newly straight hair, keep such things as hair ties, headbands and even glasses at bay. Even tucking your hair behind your ears can give you an unwanted wave. Be cautious of these things for at least 3 or 4 days following your treatment.
- Brazilian Keratin Treatments tend to last about 3 months and can be done on any type of hair, especially locks that have previously been chemically treated. The end result of these Keratin Treatments is that is can take your styling time from 2 hours to 15 minutes for the most unruly hair. These factors are what make Brazilian Keratin Treatments so desirable. Some may think of the high price tag as a con, but more often than not clients walk out feeling that it was well worth their time and money.
HAIR STRAIGHTENING PROCEDURES CAN BE CONFUSING BUT THEY DON?T HAVE TO BE. IF YOU?RE CURIOUS ABOUT ?ARGAN UNEX AMINO ACID THERAPY HERE ARE A FEW THINGS TO SET YOUR MIND AT EASE.
- As a consumer, it is nothing less than beneficial to know exactly what you are purchasing and using. This will help you to make the most informed decision you can when it comes to investing in a Brazilian Keratin Treatment. All Keratin Treatments come in different recipes and chemicals have many names. With these different factors, it can be hard to decipher the different ingredients on the list. Regarding different mixes of Keratin, besides the endless brands, there are 2 main types of Brazilian Keratin Treatments.
- You have your salon grade treatments which last a couple of months and the at home treatments that can last up to 30 days. Do it yourself Keratin Treatments last almost a third of the time as salon treatments due to the fact that they are not as concentrated. Now to familiarize yourself with the chemicals! Hydrolyzed Keratin- keratin is a naturally occurring protein that is the base of and found in the skin, nails and hair of humans and animals. Hydrolyzed Keratin is Keratin whose chemical structure has been altered through a process using water which is called hydrolysis. As far as Keratin in Hair Treatment products, the keratin is usually extracted from animal hooves, feathers or wool.
- Aldehydes- Aldehyde is a ?chemical family?. This ?family? is a class of highly reactive chemical compounds, composed of hydrogen, oxygen & carbon and are a result of the oxidation of primary alcohols. Formaldehyde is the specific chemical contained in most Brazilian Keratin Treatments.
- It is surrounded with controversy and skepticism, making it the more significant chemical. A colorless, flammable gas that is naturally pungent is also naturally produced in the body in very small amounts. But regarding its concentration in Brazilian Keratin Treatments, .2 percent or less is considered a safe concentration of the chemical. Always be aware of products that claim to be ?formaldehyde free?. Even these treatments can include ethanol, methanol, and formalin, as well as chemicals from the aldehyde family such as acetaldehyde. For a rule of thumb, any chemical ending in ?-aldehyde? can cause irritation of the eyes, nose and skin even if the product states that it is ?formaldehyde free?.
- Those born with certain defining attributes such as straight hair often seek the opposite. Just as some of those with curly hair more than likely desire to have it straight. One way to make your dream of having straighter or less frizzy hair become a reality is to have a chemical hair treatment, more popularly known as a Keratin Treatment, applied to your curly locks.
- Keratin is a protein found naturally in your hair. If the hair cuticles are cracked, dry, or damaged, Keratin can fill in those areas. Keratin Treatments, also known to some as Brazilian Blowout or Brazilian Keratin Treatments, have been found to contain formaldehyde, a common preservative found in everyday use. Levels of formaldehyde are mixed with keratin, which helps to hold or preserve the Keratin in place when applied to the hair cuticles. The chemical treatment is then sealed with heat using a flatiron. Keratin treatments can last anywhere between 3 to 5 months and costs starting on average of $300. After the treatment you are advised against washing your hair for 3 to 4 days so the solution has time to work.
- Some Keratin Treatment reviews point out that if you are planning to have the chemical treatment applied to your hair there are several things you should know about its contents.
- Formaldehyde contained in Keratin Treatments is toxic. Some of the known risks of being exposed to formaldehyde are irritation of the eyes, skin, and the upper respiratory tract. The Environmental Protection Agency has classified formaldehyde as a suspected human carcinogen. It has been linked to leukemia and nasal cancer.
- Health agencies do not regulate cosmetic ingredients. Therefore, it is left to manufacturers to produce safe products to use. Cosmetic safety standards have recommended that beauty products contain no more than 0.2 percent of formaldehyde. Even some products labeled as containing no formaldehyde were found to have concentrations higher than those recommended.
- It is unlikely that Keratin alone can eradicate frizz without formaldehyde. Since formaldehyde has been needed to bond ingredients such as Keratin to the hair in order to remain smooth, the promise of the length of up to 6 months of smooth frizz-free hair is then in question if the treatment is formaldehyde-free.
- A natural hair-straightening alternative is Argan Therapy.?Argan Therapy offers a way to avoid the health hazards of chemical hair treatments if you want straight frizz-free hair for up to 6 months. It uses Argan,white clay and amino acids to straighten hair naturally without the worry of harmful chemicals.
If you are considering a hair-strengthening treatment Contact Us? to find out more information for achieving the best results with a natural process.
- Argan Therapy is an amino acid hair straightening treatment that utilizes white clay. What you may not know however, is how much of a miracle element that white clay is when it comes to our hair.
- White clay was once used in early civilizations for its healing properties. Not only can it absorb toxins and pollutants in the body but it has a natural calming effect in the skin and hair. Due to its neutral PH and medicinal qualities, it can be used on any type of hair and by anyone, including women that are pregnant.?
- Unlike hair straightening treatments that use formaldehyde, this combination of Argan Oil ,while clay and amino acids won?t cause an odor, create skin irritation or react unnaturally with the hair structure. It is totally natural and has all of the helpful benefits you need such as helping cells renew and revitalizing the hair itself.?
- In fact, the usual things we do to harm our hair such as using a hair dryer or flat iron, using chemicals or simply being in an environment that is not pure can be overcome by the Argil Therapy. This hair treatment is so gentle that it can be used on children.
FORMALDEHYDE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, THIO, AND LYE ARE NO LONGER NEEDED AND NOW YOU CAN HAVE YOUR HAIR STRAIGHTENED NATURALLY WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT THE SMELL OR THE CHEMICALS ON YOUR HAIR. THOSE COMPONENTS ARE WHAT ARE USED IN TRADITIONAL STRAIGHTENING TECHNIQUES BUT YOU CAN STRAIGHTEN YOUR HAIR THE WAY NATURE INTENDED.
- Being that Keratin Treatments contain Formaldehyde, many clients, hair stylists, and health experts have become skeptical. Experts recommend that the formaldehyde in a Keratin product should be at or beneath .2 percent, yet this fact is very highly contested. This is due to the fact that some clients have stated that they experienced damage to the hair and scalp and discomfort during the process.
- Knowing all of the possible dangers of any Keratin or Brazilian Keratin Treatment is always helpful in avoiding the side effects of such a harsh carcinogen such as formaldehyde.
- During the procedure, salons should use any and all Keratin Treatments in well ventilated areas which also utilize fans to continuously keep an open air flow. Masks are also recommended but are not used as often as they should be. When the Keratin is heated with a flat iron, it releases strong fumes containing formaldehyde. This is what makes the necessity for the mask.
- These same fumes can also sting and burn the eyes during the Brazilian Keratin process. Although hair stylists are instructed to keep any chemicals off the scalp, it is something that is hard to avoid. This is because the skin tends to absorb keratin rather quickly.
- That being said, it has been reported that clients have experienced such things as irritated scalp, increased breakage, and shedding from the roots. The formaldehyde in any Keratin Treatment can also aggravate allergies. According to a study by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, it was found that people suffering from asthma have an increased sensitivity to the effects of inhaled formaldehyde, which result in triggering asthma attacks. Lastly, there have been concerns that the formaldehyde containing products are at a higher risk of upper respiratory cancer, especially in people who continually utilize or receive treatments on a regular basis. If you have any other questions or concerns about the possible dangers of Keratin/ Brazilian Keratin Treatments, there are plenty of national studies that can be found on the internet. Also, check out these fine quality products that will fit any person?s stipulations