- Most women dream of long, silky hair that maintains its look day in and out. However, rarely are we born with that only exist in story books. With the advanced technology that abounds these days, new treatments are being introduced on a daily basis. With so many options to choose from, it can be hard to decide which ones are safe or just not right for you. One of the most popular methods today is the Brazilian Keratin Treatment (also known at BKT, Brazilian Blowout, and Keratin Treatment). This 2 part method helps to correct past damage, rid of frizz, straighten wavy locks or loosen tight, unruly curls.
- The 2 main ingredients in most Brazilian Keratin Treatments are Formaldehyde and Keratin. Keratin is a naturally occurring protein found in the skin, hair and nails, as well as the hooves, horns and fur of animals. In its liquid form it is used in products such as shampoos and conditioners. Formaldehyde is a preservative that is seen as a possible human carcinogen. Recently there has been skepticism regarding the use of formaldehyde in Brazilian Keratin Treatments. It is suggested that the product contain less than .2 percent formaldehyde to be considered safe. Keep in mind, not all Brazilian Keratin Treatments contain formaldehyde. If you are concerned about this chemical being used, consult your hairdresser as to which solution she uses. But always read the labels yourself to be sure.
- In salons across the country, the application methods vary. Although each stylist has their own technique, the entire process is generally the same. Be aware this process is costly and timely. It can take anywhere from an hour and a half to 3 depending on the length and thickness of your locks, but proves to be well worth it. First, your hair will be washed with a clarifying shampoo and towel dried. The Brazilian Keratin Treatment will then be applied to the hair and combed through. After rinsing out the excess, a hot iron is used at high temperatures to seal in the treatment.
- Following your treatment, you will want to take a few precautions to ensure that you will maintain your ‘investment’. By no means should your hair get wet, meaning do not wash it, no exercise and absolutely no swimming, especially in pools. Essentially, you’re washing the treatment out of your hair if you are not patient enough. When it does come time to wash your tresses, be sure to use a shampoo and conditioner that are sodium free. To avoid ruining your newly straight hair, keep such things as hair ties, headbands and even glasses at bay. Even tucking your hair behind your ears can give you an unwanted wave. Be cautious of these things for at least 3 or 4 days following your treatment.
- Brazilian Keratin Treatments tend to last about 3 months and can be done on any type of hair, especially locks that have previously been chemically treated. The end result of these Keratin Treatments is that is can take your styling time from 2 hours to 15 minutes for the most unruly hair. These factors are what make Brazilian Keratin Treatments so desirable. Some may think of the high price tag as a con, but more often than not clients walk out feeling that it was well worth their time and money.
THE BASICS TO BRAZILIAN KERATIN TREATMENTS !!
Tagged under: KERATIN TREATMENTS !!